RADII Trim System Installation Instructions
Let’s first state the obvious: Radius work is a pain! The RadiiTrim System will not remove all the pain, but it does significantly reduce it.
*Please note the following:
- This is a TRIM system. As such, it is not designed to support weight of the grid, and it will NOT support the weight of the grid.
- Do not use the pop rivets in the RadiiTrim Products without consulting the factory.
- It is CRITICAL that the wall angle closely conform to the radius.
- A HAIR DRYER CANNOT BE USED IN PLACE OF A HEAT GUN.
NOTE: Many installers find that placing metal hanger strap against the vertical leg and attaching the wall angle to the wall through the metal strap insures the snug fit required for best results. This is especially true on INSIDE RADIUS applications.
The following MINIMUM RADIUS TABLE will help you properly apply the product:
|Part #||Min. Inside Radius||Min. Outside Radius||Size|
|800-1 C||15 inches||15 inches||9/16”|
|800-2C||24 inches||24 inches||15/16”|
|800-3||30 inches||30 inches||3/8” Reveal|
|800-4||54 inches||36 inches||3/4” Reveal|
|800-6||30 inches||30 inches||1/4” Reveal|
As previously stated, while not essential, attaching the wall angle to the wall through metal hanger strap insures the snug fit required for best results. This is especially true on INSIDE RADIUS applications.
Outside Radius Installation:
NOTE: NOTE THAT NO HEAT GUN IS REQUIRED FOR OUTSIDE RADIUS INSTALLATIONS!
- Attach one end of wall angle to wall with any standard fastener system, including industrial adhesives. However, if adhesives are used, a mechanical fastener must also be used.
- Continue to “walk” down the wall with any standard fastener every 1-3 inches (depending on the radius) until entire wall angle section is installed.
- To size length of wall angle, install as instructed above until the radius ends. Take a utility knife and SCORE the wall angle where you want to the radius run. Break the wall angle at the scored lines.
NOTE: ELECTRICAL TIE WRAPS (BRAND NAMED “PANDUIT STRAPS”) ALONG WITH THE TENSIONER DEVICE AVAILABLE FROM THE SAME SUPPLIER, ARE OFTEN USED AS INEXPENSIVE, EASILY INSTALLED COLUMN COLLARS.
Inside Radius Installation:
*In order for the following process to work, THE WALL ANGLE MUST BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO USING THE HEAT GUN.
- Place wall angle along the area where it will be installed, WITHOUT ATTACHING THE WALL ANGLE PERMANENTLY.
- Place the first PERMANENT fastener in the CENTER of the WALL ANGLE.
- Install the next fastner 1-3 inches (the distance depends on the radius) to the right, then the next fastener 1-3 inches to the left of center, and continue to alternate fasteners so that there is a SNUG fit against the wall. As stated before, a snug fit against the wall is CRITICAL on inside radius applications.
NOTE: At this point, many installers lay in ceiling tiles in order to expedite the shrinking process.
- Take a heat gun (NOT A HAIR DRYER) and START AT ONE END OF THE INSTALLATION, AND APPLY HEAT IN A “STROKING” MOTION TOWARD THE OPPOSITE END OF THE WALL ANGLE.
UNLESS THE TILES ARE ALREADY INSTALLED (AS MENTIONED ABOVE), ALLOW TO COOL BEFORE INSTALLING CEILING TILES
NOTE: DO NOT APPLY HEAT FROM THE CENTER OUTWARD. IT MUST BE APPLIED AS DESCRIBED IN STEP 4 ABOVE. USE A HEAT GUN - NOT A HAIR DRYER!
There are often applications that require free—floating “clouds” that consist of numerous radius treatments. The following is how to solve the problems associated with these and other similar installations.
This is one of the few installations that are mounted using pop rivets.
Next, take a sheet of plywood and duplicate your “cloud”.
Using finishing nails. Hammer the nails at 3-5” intervals on both sides of your cloud and take 2 each 2-inch straps and insert the metal straps between the nails to form a fixture.
Insert RADiiTrim into your fixture.
Using clamps as shown in this picture, clamp the RADiiTrim securely in your fixture.
Using a 1200-1500 watt heat gun start at one end of the stick, heat the RADiiTrim until you have a duplicate of your “cloud”.
- This is one of the few times you need to heat an outside radius because you want to have a rigid piece to mount as a free-standing installation.
- We recommend that you use PN PC800-1C or PN PC800-2C to form the perimeter of your cloud because it is easier to use than the shadow molds. You can use shadow/reveals, but it tales longer and increases labor costs.
- After making sure the RADiiTrim molding is clean, you can paint it with any paint EXCEPT OIL-BASED PAINT.
- At the transition point from inside to outside radius, life is easier if you use the middle of the stick for the transition.